As part of a fringe session I was asked to part present a demonstration on how to change the appearance of Moodle.
Part was presented by Mark Ward from Burton and South Derbyshire College (BSDC) with details at http://moodlemark.com/?p=75
My section involved showcasing a tool that was added to Moodle at Sandwell College which allow users to customise aspects of the theme. I have now released a version of the “Standard” Moodle theme with that tool inserted.
You can download it from https://github.com/brum1975/moodle-theme_standard_custom
It has been optimised so that it should be easy to take parts of this theme and add to your own in just a few steps.
- Add a link with the id of customtool into the header of your theme and a small snippet of code. These will need to be added to all files in your layout folder. See layout/general.php in the downloaded theme.
- Copy style/customtool.css into your themes style folder
- Add the customtool.css into the list of styles in your themes config.php. See config.php in downloaded theme
- Copy the YUI folder into your theme, or merge contents if one already exists
- Copy lib.php into your theme folder, or merge into your lib.php if one already exists
- Copy the wallpapers folder into your themes pix folder
That should be enough to get it working on your own theme. You will probably want to modify style/customtool.css and a section of HTML in YUI/colourswitcher/colourswitcher.js to suit your requirements.
See video below for the theme and tool in action